Monday, May 7, 2012

It has been too long...I've missed blogging. I've actually visited this place (or thought about coming) a multitude of times, but I never had anything to write. I still really don't have a set topic in mind...but I do have ideas and sayings that should spark something...

God wants us to be prisoners of hope. Remain steadfast in hope today -- Joyce Meyer

Hope...it's one of those things that I say I have ('oh yeah, I'm hopeful'), but do I really? I think I've always associated hope with naivety. "I have hope that things will change" is the same as "I'm too ignorant to see things for what they really are. Nothing's going to change."

Is that selling God short? Maybe I'm just asking for it (nothing to change)...like poking a beehive with a stick. But where is the line between having hope and not accepting reality? I think that's where discernment comes in... 

"Without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to Him must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly seek him." -- Hebrews 11:6

Faith...I have no problem believing that God exists; but where my big problem comes in is believing that God wants to do...anything...for me. 'Earnestly seeking Him' seems kind of futile when I don't believe it has any effect.

"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." -- Romans 12:12

Patience...that one's kinda easy. When things are going wrong or I have pain, I believe that God has a reason for it. That He's going to be glorified.

It was kinda funny...last night I was telling my Grandmother that my insurance finally approved the MRI. My Aunt and Grandmother both asked where the MRI was, I told them on my back, then my Aunt asked if I was still having pain there...I told her 'every day'. I figured that they had no idea and then I realized that that's how God can be seen in affliction. 

I guess I need to start from the beginning...learn to believe that God wants me to have good things and be happy.

Oh, and the stopping nail biting experiment was a total bust...I must not be ready. :(

still working on that...

If God is going to be God to us, we must trust in him ... "My eyes are fixed on you, Sovereign Lord; in you I take refuge" (Psalm 141:8). "My God is my rock, in whom I take refuge" (2 Samuel 22:3).
God is the only one in whom we can trust. Every other creature is a false refuge. They are like the Egyptian reed - too weak to support us, but strong enough to wound us (2 Kings 18:21) ... Only God is a sufficient foundation to build our trust upon. When we trust him, we make him a God to us; when we do not trust him, we make him an idol.
To trust in God means to rely on his power as a Creator, and on his love as a Father. Trusting in God involves committing our primary treasure - our soul - to him. "Into your hands I commit my spirit" (Psalm 31:5). As the orphan trusts his guardian to care for his inheritance, so we trust God with our souls. When we do, he becomes our God.
 -- Thomas Watson {AD 1620-1686}

 Don't undo in doubt what you began in faith

No comments:

Post a Comment